Monday, October 26, 2009

Opinions vs. Facts

I'd like to write about something that's been on my mind lately, something I've noticed with people. First I'd like to bring up the terms we call Opinions and Facts.

Opinion: A belief that may or may not be backed up with evidence.

Fact: A pragmatic truth, a statement that can, at least in theory, be checked and confirmed.
(source: Wikipedia)

Example 1. Lets pretend I was talking with some friends about who the best looking actor is. I say, "I think Hugh Jackman is so attractive". They then say, "He's really not."

1. Hello, I was giving an opinion and you can't say to me he's really not. Where is your proof that he's really not? Where can you confirm that? What this person should have said instead was, "In my opinion, I don't think he is."

Example 2. Lets say I was talking to a classmate and said, "I like the name Logan." And then they say, "That's not a name."

1. Hello, who are you to say it's not a name? Do you have back up? A statement saying it's not a name? I didn't think so.

Example 3. Lets say a friend of mine began to discuss the issues among congress. I notice confusion she has with one cabinet and the other. I correct her and say, "Actually I think it's this way other than that way." That would be more factual than opinionated because I could find proof for my answer.

I've heard people who will correct wrong facts in a mean way. All we have to say is, "Actually I thought it was this" or, "It might be this!" or, "I actually heard this". No need to get excited for knowing something someone does not and then make them feel stupid for not knowing it. This has happened to me many times and I wish people would just word their phrases differently; so instead of saying, "I can't believe you didn't know that" or "Wow everyone knows that". (sarcastic tone) they could say, "Oh, I thought you'd know that." or "Well now that you know that, isn't it great?"

I bring these thoughts up because it's becoming so common these days. People will interfere when someone gives their opinion by trying to outsmart them (when the opinion giving person was not trying to prove factual knowledge) and transform the "opinion", turn it opposite, and make it to sound factual-very unnecessary. People should not get offended or think they have to hurry and outsmart a person because they disagree with the opinion; they need to stop and think hey, they were just speaking their minds-nothing official.

That is all.

6 comments:

  1. This is a true fact, especially when people these days are unwilling to allow a certain opinion, but demand others to accept theirs. Of course, there is such thing as a more educated opinion, depending on the subject, but that doesn't discount all other opinions entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true true. Drew, true fact is redundant, but I'll allow it. :) I have outsmarted him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Drew is difficult to outsmart, he's very well backed up on anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of this post is how it involves Hugh Jackman. Also, hello, his attractiveness IS fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *defers to Cami's correction* Still, I have come across many bits of information that are commonly regarded as "fact" which are actually far from true.

    If I could look like any movie star, it would be Hugh Jackman. In fact, it's my greatest ambition and new life goal to look exactly like him in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA HA HA work on it!! you're close

    ReplyDelete