Saturday, March 27, 2010

Remembering

While in Maryland, I was introduced to a song which is now my favorite. The Luckiest by Ben Folds. Just now I was listening to it and we all know how songs remind us of things, places, events, and people. I started missing the place where I spent two months of my life. I’m missing the babies. I was browsing through some pictures and videos from my trip and wished so badly I could cuddle them. I often share the story of how we would get the babies up from their naps, after crying for hours and the immediate relief they have in their eyes. We’d place them on the couch, still wrapped up tight in their swaddles, tears streaming from their red eyes in their ears, and they literally would laugh and smile non stop. I don’t think there is anything cuter. Immediate forgiveness seemed to take over our minds from them being little naughties and  not napping. I have never seen happier babies than Alex, Bennett, and Ruby. I guess having three babies means having triple the happiness. I was told and I knew myself that once I was home again, I would have “withdrawals” from the babies and find myself catching habits I formed there and hearing cries that aren’t there-well truth is, none of those have occurred and I don’t know why. The other truth is, I wish they did, more than anything. I wish I woke up in the middle of the night swearing I could hear crying. I wish I had a baby to feed every three hours, preferably three to choose from, I wish I could baby talk again (my niece Stella is 18 months and sometimes I find myself cooing to her at a more premature level than her own, I smile because I know I acquired it from the triplets) It is good to be home, but I’ll never not love those who made me who I am today. I almost wanted to cry when I just thought about how I will see the honeys in less than a month. What will it be like?  Will the littles recognize me? Will they smile and coo like they did when I would crouch down to their level and stroke their tear stained faces? I do hope so. I love them and I’ve never learned so much about motherhood then with what I did with these babes.

23625_407971336390_586086390_5386935_6184965_n Ah Goo!

4 comments:

  1. I BET you miss them. Now if we can just devise a plan to get them all to move here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they still have bouts of crying, and they are still just as cute after it. And be glad you don't here those phantom cries, it's pretty creepy. They miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss them too. I'm so glad you were able to go help Emily. It meant so much to me personally. Not because I feel responsible for the babies like Emily or KC might, but because I love Emily and am glad she wasn't doing the day-to-day alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awe thanks matt. I feel honored to have done that duty. I feel so lucky. It was hard but 110% worth it! It'll be so fun to see them again huh,

    ReplyDelete