Tuesday, September 8, 2009

By Raise of Hand…

Who’s heard of Ernest Shackleton, The Marx Brothers, or Harold Lloyd? What about the films, Snowball Express, It Happened One Night, Shackleton, or maybe Newhart or The Honeymooners? I’m writing about this today because these people and films are classic and I’ve asked a lot of friends (most of whom are my age) if they’ve heard of either, and they reply to my great sorrow, no. Even if you, readers, have not like my young friends, take an interest now and fill your mind with new knowledge of greatness.

To name a few…

Ernest Shackleton

I once had a conversation with a friend who is in my singles ward named John. We got on topic of great shows and I asked him if he had ever heard of Shackleton. He replied, No, and it surprised me. He seemed to be the kind of chap that would know of him. Because of my own personal fondness of such a man, I knew there’d be no way I’d leave the conversation not having taught another person what I know. So, I taught.

Ernest Shackelton was an Anglo-Irish explorer who was one of the principal figures of the period known as the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. He was a great leader because his goal was to not let one man in his entire crew die. He was determined to make sure every man came home alive. In 1915, Ernest Shackelton embarked on one of the most astonishing, harrowing and ultimately inspiring polar expeditions in the history of exploration. With his ship ice bound and his food supplies running from scarce to barren, Shackleton’s leadership enabled all 27 of his original crew members to survive the one year ordeal and return to England. His instincts and ability to guide through the most desperate and derisive circumstances is the stuff of sheer, unequaled heroism. (See 2002 film “Shackelton” with Kenneth Branagh)

The Marx Brothers

My father introduced these great people some three years ago. Taken back by complete randomness and awe, I fell in love with the geniuses comedic aspects of each Marx Brothers films. I too ask my friends if they’ve heard of them and they reply, no. “Ah! But they’re so funny!” I reply. And they are. I believe that everyone has a small recollection of viewing them sometime in their life at home, but they cannot recall an episode or funny line.

Possibly some of the most comedic actors in the 20th Century, Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo, all brothers, come together in five classic Hollywood films in the 1920’s. They include, “The Coconuts”, “Animal Crackers”, “Horse Feathers”, “Duck Soup”, and “Monkey Business”. After these five films were made, the youngest brother Zeppo, did not continue on to be in the last four films made in the early 1930’s. The Marx Brothers humor is unique and Irresistible!

*fun fact: Hawkeye Pierce in the 1970’s television hit, M*A*S*H, based his character role off the thick eyebrow and moustache goofball, Groucho.

Harold Lloyd

I was introduced to Harold Lloyd about three years ago and laughed my head off in one of his silent films. I’m not quite sure why Charlie Chaplin is more popular than Lloyd, but I will say that in my humble opinion, Lloyd is as funny if not funnier than Chaplin; he does his own stunts too ;)

Harold Lloyd ranks alongside Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton as one of the most popular and influential film comedians of the silent film era. Lloyd made nearly 200 comedy films, both silent and "talkies," between 1914 and 1947. He is best known for his "Glasses Character", a resourceful, success-seeking go-getter who was perfectly in tune with 1920s era America.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting information. I'm familiar with the Marx Brothers and Harold Lloyd, but I'll have to check out Ernest Shackleton, he's new to me. I love old movies! Some of them are better than the rubbish produced these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah watch the Shackleton film. The guy on it plays on of the professors on H.P. Anyway, We own it if your ever passing by, borrow it! It's SOOO good

    ReplyDelete