Sunday, September 6, 2009

Life as a Nanny


I've been babysitting for over 8 years and it's been quite an awarding experience. I started at the age of twelve or so, tending for kids in the neighborhood. In the beginning up until about 2005, some of the families I was with were the Warrens,and Waldvogels. The Gordons and Kirbys from then till this past summer, and of course my sisters kids from 2005 to now. When asked what I do, I recently discovered that it might be best if I just answered, I'm a nanny, instead of, I babysit. It just sounds better doesn't it? So in 2006 I got my first "real" job at Cold Stone Creamery. I was employed there for two years exactly. May '06 to May '08. It was...a good job, I started at $5.15 an hour to $10. The ten an hour came about after I told my boss I wanted to quit...she asked me if maybe I could work ever now and then, once or twice a month for $10 and I said sure. So I did that from March to May 10 and that was my last day. Anyway, I suppose I'm getting off track, but during those two years at the stone, I still was able to babysit erm...nanny? And I'm glad because I was able to make a little extra cash, and stay in touch with friends that I've known for so long. For the first 5 years I never said what I charged, I just accepted what they gave me. About a year ago, I started tending for two more families and we actually discussed what pay was reasonable. It worked out great. To this day I still tend for those two families and another family once in a while that I've been with since i was 14. I love it. I love kids and I wouldn't trade any experience for this. I want to be a mother more than anything and I hope all these years of tending kids will benefit!

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to have some work, no matter what kind. And this will help feed you until you get a job writing for the New York Times.

    P.S. I love your blog title and tagline ever so much. EVER so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like knowing wht people want for babysitting. I'd call you, but I have Jordan and whatnot. When you become a mom, you just have to babysit for free. (Other people's kids I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to babysit for you! Fun! I'll even do it for free

    ReplyDelete