Friday, September 25, 2009

Chesnuts and Pumpkins

I cannot put into words how much I love Fall, Halloween, and Christmas. A cold, rainy fall morning is another's hot sunny summer's evening. I am in love with the upcoming seasons. Just thinking about them makes me smile. Right now, I cannot wait to see the mountain's trees turn all the way Red. I cannot wait to see orange leaves on the ground and covering my car. I cannot wait to hear the wind howling, knowing it's carrying a cold chill, and I cannot wait to wake up to the sound of rain, a sky full of grey clouds, and fog covering the mountains. That is a moment where I'm most happy.
I just decorated my room for Halloween, decorations bought last year, over $40 worth (I spend more money on decor than clothes!) I think Halloween is my most favorite holiday to decorate for and yes, I decorate my room, where else can I?! I put up spider webs on my one piece of furniture (a humble straw chair) and on the corners outside my closet and on my lights. I also set up my harvest spice candle that has filled my room with the glorious scent of fall. I put up fake leaves and hid pumpkins in them, and I laid my pumpkin fleece blanket on my bed. If that's not love for Halloween, I don't know what is. It's amazing how scents remind us of things. I went to my sisters house the other day, and when I walked in, I smelt fall. I smelt Halloween, I smelt Christmas. Immediately, I was there again.
Ah Christmas. Is it any wonder that the time we celebrate Christ's birth is truly the happiest, most peaceful time of the year? It is when people come together. When shopping at the grocery store, everyone seems to be a bit more friendly. It's when we're standing in a terribly long line while Christmas shopping, but not at all frustrated, because we can see snow outside, and we can hear Christmas music playing. At least that's how it is for me. I love the Christmas rush, and although it appears to be a stressful time for most (the shopping etc.), I try to make the most of it because it only comes once a year and there is not any other time in the year that can even come close to how the Christmas season makes us feel.
I cannot wait to leave school, speedily zipping up my coat because it just started to snow. I cannot wait to get into my car, blast the heater, and turn on Christmas music on Kozy, cheeks still ice from outside. I cannot wait to arrive home from school, see the Christmas tree through the front window, and hear Christmas music playing in the kitchen. I cannot wait to go in my room to work on homework and see the decorations I put up a month early. I cannot wait to watch White Christmas and The Bishops Wife with my dad. I cannot wait to hear Mannheim Steamroller and Neil Diamond Christmas music, because that is really where it all started for me. And last of all, I cannot wait for. . .

Chestnuts Roasting on an open fire
Yuletide carols, being sung by a choir
Folks dressed up like Eskimos
Tiny tots, with their eyes all aglow
To see if Reindeer really know how to fly
To know that Santa's on his way
Two turtle doves
Tree tops glistening
Children listening
To hear sleigh bells in the snow







3 comments:

  1. GOODness, you have certainly put me in a Christmas mood! Thank you for articulating exactly how I feel about the fall and winter, and what so few people around me are able to understand. Can I listen to Christmas music yet???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, after Halloween! Which I have actually decided not to do because when it's actually the Christmas season (after thanksgiving) I will have already been listening to it for so long, it'll be nothing exciting!

    Brit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey....? I wrote a comment on this ? well it basically said I LOVE it too! cute post

    ReplyDelete