Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LOST-From Genius to Crap

Calm down, this isn’t my opinion, but it is of others and I’d like to take a minute to discuss why and how a person could think such a thing. My personal background with LOST goes like this: In 2007, I watched the pilot episode of Season 1 while babysitting. Just one episode, nothing more. I was so intrigued by it all that I bought the season the NEXT day! It left me in such suspense that I couldn’t wait until I came back to this house to watch the next episode, it’d be a week at the least! Well, I wouldn’t have it, I wanted LOST for my own. So I handed over $50 to the target cashier and literally skipped to my car with glee.

Ever since then I’ve been a fan and have kept up with every season. Season two is personally my favorite followed by one, then three. One is a lot of fun because almost every episode (after the first disc or two because it’s slow with introductions) there is mystery and suspense. About a month ago, my friend Chanelle, who I introduced the television show to, and I were watching an episode where one of the “passengers” on the plane who before this scene, we find out he was never on the plane and is most likely what they call, an “other”, sneaks up on the young passengers, Claire and Charlie in the jungle, and my friend screamed at the top of her lungs! It was very funny and to this day I’m still laughing at how loud she was.

Anyway, that wasn’t the first time we were on the edge of seats with wide eyes just waiting for another intense part. LOST is full of it. Now Season 2 gets good with new characters from the other side of the plane on the other side of the Island, and a new discovery, The Hatch which is an underground living space. With thrilling suspicions and psycho flashbacks, Season 2 is worth it. Now I’ll briefly go through season three and four. Three we discover about three more hatches on the island that contain unresolved surroundings and people. Season four we feel relieved because there’s a freighter out in the ocean to pick up the survivors of the plane crash, but then we find out that really these rescuers primary objective is not to rescue. Season five began in January of 2009. With season four already slanting down with creativeness and reality, five brought some of it’s fans down and disappointment.

A close friend of mine replied when asked what he thought about season five by saying he hated it. Absolutely hated it. I was able to understand a little of where he was coming from. The Island disappearing under the water, one of the survivors shooting a young boy, and the ending of light hearted moments found in Season one and two. There’s no more scenes at the end of episodes where there's fun music playing and everyone is friends and everything seems to be o.k. That's the LOST we all fell in love with in the beginning; how there could be this black smoke that kills people and then Boone dies, but everyone is slowly brought together by a kind word, or a joke, or a laugh. That's how LOST was kept alive in us because there was variety.

I like to say LOST is every genre: Romance, Action, suspense, Comedy, and Drama. It's true! But in season five some may recall LOST let go of the genres we love and only held onto drama and suspense. Where's the comedy? Where's the love? I miss season one and two! Again, these are not my opinions, but I can surely understand someone who would think this way. LOST is still an amazing show, but the writers seem to be running out of ideas and replacing them with ridiculous twists that shatter our own imagination. Let us hope season six is the best one being the last one!

2 comments:

  1. Just thinking about LOST makes me skip with glee, at times literally and at times figuratively. But they're not running out of ideas! They're steering the show toward its end! The first couple seasons are largely exposition, which is why they spent so much time visiting characters and telling jokes, now it's about the overall plot (which has been in place for the most part since season 1, you may or may not know). Everyone just needs to trust LOST. It may have taken a little turn in style and tone, but it's still the best on TV, past, present or future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is. I love lost. Yeah I see what you mean, now its about the overall plot, they're getting down to business.

    ReplyDelete